Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sprucey Lucy - aka, BEST SOCK EVER!!!


Sprucey Lucy FO (1)
Originally uploaded by JRoKnits
I don't know what it is about this one, but just so you know...I'm right. It is the best sock ever!

For starters, I made these out of a great yarn - Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Multi in Glenwood. (I still can't get over the fact that I got 2 complete good sized pairs of socks out of 3 skeins!!)

For seconds, the pattern is Sprucey Lucy, a fabulous free pattern by the lovely Wendy D. Johnson. I'd missed these on the Ravelry KAL, so at the end of a particularly prolific sock month, I decided to make these.

I was happy as I knit them and drooling as I finished them. Now that I've had several opportunities to wear them, I am blissfully happy with them! For some reason that I can't put my finger on, these socks fit much better and the pattern is the perfect combination of texture and plain stockinette. I think it's the perfect way to showcase a special yarn. I know this yarn is very common, but it was special to me because it was the best sock yarn I'd ever knit with.

My ONLY wee tiny complaint is that I now know what people mean by the 'princess and the pea' effect with socks. This yarn and Patons Stretch Socks are yarns that I definitely notice a little soreness on the bottoms of my feet from the purl bumps. If I wear my clogs around the house, it's not as bad as if I'm just in the socks walking around on the hardwood. Even then, it's not terrible, just something more noticeable than with other socks.

Didn't help that I decided to take a 3 mile walk in them either. I won't be doing THAT again anytime soon.

But I adore these socks. Simply wonderful!

No comments: